Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking Back and Moving Forward: Setting Goals

Looking back on 2010, is something I'm not too interested in doing, but I know it's necessary sometimes, i.e. I don't want to make the same mistakes in 2011 that I did this year.  But that's not what this post is about...

Speaking of 2010 how much time is left?  Did I accomplish what I set out to do?  Where's the LIST???  I know I have it here somewhere...

They say if you don't write down your goals they aren't really goals.  There more like wishes.  Experts say to write them down, and carry a copy with you where ever you go.  Put one up on a wall.  Refer to it often.  Adjust as necessary, and reward yourself when you complete a goal.  That's important.

One thing a list of goals really needs is deadlines.  Yes, deadlines.  A deadline for every goal.  A period of time that you give yourself for completing it.  This is also important.

Every goal should also have a list of steps you need to accomplish to reach that goal.  These are the mini-goals you need to complete to reach that primary goal.  How are you going to finish painting that squad of space marines if you forgot to pick up a can of primer???

Ah ha!  I found my list...  It was in the drawer that "should not be opened".

List of Goals, Resolutions, and get-er-dones for 2010

1. Stay organised.  DOH!  I need to work on this...
2. Buy a calender. ( Helps with number one. )  Heh.  I never did buy a calender for 2010.  The computer I was using had one on it.
3. Study a little harder and develop a better understanding of quantum mechanics.  What?!?!
4. Review Zombie Apocalypse survival plan.

Okay, I'm kind of joking around, because I don't want to get too serious.  Setting goals and making resolutions at the first of the year is important, but you don't want to overwhelm yourself, and set yourself up for failure.  That happens to so many people.  Start slow, and build up your goals.  Everything doesn't have to be listed and quantified at the beginning of the year.  Set a few goals for the month of January, and at the end of the month review what you have accomplished, or not, and reassess.  If you accomplished those goals, reward yourself, and start the list for the next month.  It should work better than having a mega-list for the year.

There's a couple of things I never covered for my goals in 2010, and that was starting a gaming blog, and doing some actual gaming.  Aside from a game of Life's Not Fair Monopoly, gaming was practically non-existent for me in 2010.  I will continue my gaming blog in 2011, and plan on getting some game time in, and not just Uno, Monopoly, or computer games.

I almost accomplished my goal for December of posting everyday.  I was so close, only missing one day because I was sick.  I still feel good, because I wrote more on the blog than in any other month since I started the blog.  Some days I actually posted more than once, sometimes even three times.  So I feel that I was partially successful with this goal.

I plan plan on taking a short break from blogging starting tomorrow.  Probably not for longer than three or four days. Maybe a week.  I'm going to use the time to quantify my plans for the month, and some over-all planning for the year.  Plus, I need to work on getting more organised, and streamline my work flow.

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts - take it easy, folks! Happy New Year to you too and enjoy the break!

    ReplyDelete