Saturday, April 10, 2010

"Old School Dungeon"

Created with Paint.NET.

This is the first "dungeon" I've created in a long, long, time.  I'm not sure, now that I think about it that it can be considered an old school dungeon?  Oh well, it's really not for anything, it's just an exercise to help learn the program.  It's on a canvas that is 8.5" x 11".  I used three layers to make this map.  One for the grid, another for the map, and the third one for the text.  There are a couple of functions I wish it had, like snap to grid, but it's not a deal breaker.  This program has so much going for it I can deal with that.

I'm really happy with Paint.NET.  I think it's more functional than most of the free/shareware dungeon or world mapping programs available.  Plus, it can be used for so many other things as well, like for instance, creating a new blog logo, creating a webcomic, or touching up photographs.  Want to design your own card game?  You can do it with Paint.NET.  Gee, it's almost starting to sound like I'm being paid by them, but that's not the case.  It's just a great program, and only a little more difficult to learn than MS Paint.  Trust me I tried GIMP, but I didn't like it.  I tried the trial version of Campaign Cartographer, and didn't think much of it.  So if I haven't said it before, Paint.NET is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment