Thursday, April 15, 2010

Creativity, the Blogosphere, and You

I was reading a blog entry on JoetheLawyers blog, JoetheLawyer's Wonderous Imaginings , about how he felt he didn't contribute to the gaming community in the form of anything creative.  Here's my reponse:

I think amost everyone who writes in the blogosphere of gaming has something to contribute, and believe it or not, sometimes the most mundane thing can create a creative spark in someone. So just because you're not creating a new monster, magic item, or NPC every week doesn't mean you're not "in the game."

As far as being creative, whether it's fiction, making stuff up, art, whatever, the best piece of advice I ever received was, "Do not fear the blank page." Or blinking curser in this case.

There's a lot of great advice online about being creative, and yes it is a skill that can be developed. Yes, some people come to it naturally, but you can get more creative. It's truly a worthwhile skill to develop. Just keep at it. Remember to write the ideas down as the come to you, no matter where you are. If you don't, you will forget. A small, cheap notebook is all you need, nothing fancy. I found the more I pay for a notebook the less likely I will use it! ( Like the Moleskines. )

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Zanazaz ( Is thinking I need to copy this for my blog post tonight... )

Okay, so I'm being lazy, and using this as a post, but I feel it has merit, and that ANYONE can be creative if they just try.  Get out from in front of the television, or in some cases the computer, and create.  Sometimes being a little creative will snowball into more creativity, and it becomes easier over time to be creative.

2 comments: