Wednesday, April 7, 2010

the Monsters of Mayhem

Learning How to Use a Graphics Program

After an afternoon of yard work, then making dinner, I surfed the net while eating, and then decided to work on learning how to use Paint.NET .  I wasn't really in a map making mood so I played around with it, and then decided to see if it could be used to design a collectible card game.  Yeah, I know, many gamers despise CCGs, but I don't.  ( I actually sold my Magic the Gathering cards ages ago. ) Anyway, I thought it would be a good way to learn the program, instead of just messing around.  Here's what I did:

©2010 Frank Anderson, Jr.

Now, this was about an hours worth of work, but now that I know what I am doing it will go quicker.  Also, I'm not at my best drawing with a mouse, and plan on doing most of the work with pen and ink, and scanning it.  The game mechanics are just made up on the fly, but I do want this to be a simple, fun, and quick game.  The working title is, the Monsters of Mayhem, but I will probably change it.

I learned quite a bit from working on this one card.  One, that 2.5" x 3.5" is NOT a lot of room to work with.  I learned layers are your friends, and that there are no worries when you make a mistake.  Undo is a miracle!

Now, I could probably do so much more with one of the more expensive graphic programs out there, but it's just not in the budget right now, and Paint.NET does what I need it to do, and at the right price!  FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment