Saturday, March 20, 2010

Back from the Land of the Semi-dead...

Whew, time flies by so quickly. It seems I failed to make a successful saving throw versus convention exhaustion. These past eight days I have been worn out, and haven't felt much like doing anything. However, I'm feeling much better now, and I'm ready to go.

Convention Report:  All-Con 2010

Really, I don't have that much to report now that I think about it. About the only gaming at All-Con was either console/computer gaming, Lazer Tag, or a modified version of Monopoly, called Life's Not Fair Monopoly. All-Con is more of a science fiction/fantasy/comic book convention with a few other things thrown into the mix. It is a very good con if you are into these areas of fandom.

Created by a friend of mine, Life's Not Fair Monopoly can be a lot of fun, and also really annoying. I spent most of the my first 10 turns or so in jail, lost the few properties I had acquired, and bought everyone's "dependants", which were depicted by little plastic babies. ( You can acquire dependants when you draw cards. ) Anyway, I grew bored, left to watch a demonstration of roller derby, came back, started playing again, and eventually realizing I was not going to win, I gave away my money, and the babies were just gone I guess. I pretended I sold them to white slavers, after all I bought most of them from other players.  I wandered the con a bit, but came back to watch the game.  Eventually time was called, and the player with the highest net worth won.

While I was wandering around at All-Con, I picked up a flyer for a new gaming convention in Fort Worth, Texas called Texicon . I plan on conducting an email interview with one of the organizers. Hopefully, I can get this accomplished within a reasonable amount of time. In the past, I have not had the best luck when attending gaming conventions, and had to deal with some mediocre to poor, and some down-right horrible game masters. That's if they showed up at all.  I've also had some really good experiences at gaming conventions as well, but not as many as the negative ones.  This is one area I will cover in my questions. The really sad thing is I may not get to go to this con, but I'm working on it.  Well, more on Texicon next time...

Maps!

During my "recovery" I did spend some time browsing the World Wide Web, and found a place that prints and/or laminates maps. I've never used the The Gamer-Printshop , but I may try them in the future.  I've added their link to gaming web sites on the sidebar. It looks like they support the major file formats of mapping programs, as well as JPEG, etc...

Dungeons and Dragons

I've mentioned before that I started with the original D&D, waaaaaaaaaay back when. I'm fond of the first editions of AD&D, but I wonder if I will ever find any players for it when I'm ready to start gaming again? Who knows? Well, maybe one day I'll even play Dungeons and Dragons Fourth Edition, but somehow I doubt it. Have you seen the price of those books???

Okay, enough for now.  I hope I can start building a following. I really want many, many readers! If not... that's okay!  I'll just keep plugging away!  Until next time, keep rolling those dice!

No comments:

Post a Comment