Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Death of a Collection

I've been busy browsing eBay and amazon.com checking prices on stuff I want to replace.  Mainly 1st Edition AD&D, Rolemaster, Gamma World, GURPS... well it's quite a list.  My original collection consisted of things like the original boxed set of D&D and Gamma World that I bought back in oh... 1976, and a lot of gaming stuff that I bought over the years. Now, I didn't lose it all at once.  It was a war of attrition.  Some of it was lost when a closet in my first apartment flooded, and soaked everything on the floor.  This included some almost impossible to replace comic book collectibles, including some limited edition prints.  Some of my stuff just "dissappeared", borrowed items that were never returned, and well... you get the idea.  I replaced some things, but a few year later, after I was married, I had much of what was left of my collection in a storage unit.  Bad idea.  The ceiling leaked when it rained.  So when I discovered this, I realized I was paying 30 bucks a month to have my stuff destroyed, so I ended up selling most of what was left to a used book store.  I should have taken my time, but my wife had just left me, and I wasn't in the mood to deal with it. 

So fast forward to NOW.  After a very long break from all things geeky, I want to get back into gaming and collecting, and in a big way.  I plan on starting with the core titles, and go on from there.  I guess it was more of a gaming library than a collection, but I want it back.  All of it, and MORE!  All I have right now is a hardback Champions Rulebook my brother no longer wanted, the original Gamma World fold out map, and some ancient hex paper.  My battlemats may be somewhere?  Who knows...  Oh, and a Crown Royal bag o' dice.  Where is that thing?

gaming miscellania

There's a great thread in The Workshop forum on the dragonsfoot website that's about The Herculoids .  People are taking the characters and creating stats and descriptions for them.  One person is also making some very nice PDFs of the characters, and it looks like a whole Herculoidian Campaign World may result from this.  It's all very fun to read, and brings back memories of those early Saturday morning cartoons!

"Somewhere out in space live The Herculoids...Zok the laser-ray dragon! Igoo the giant rock ape! Tundro the tremendous! Gloop and Gleep, the formless fearless wonders! With Zandor their leader, and his wife, Tarra, and son, Dorno, they team up to protect their planet from sinister invaders! All-strong! All-brave! All-heroes!! They are The Herculoids!!!"  from The Herculoids Wikipedia article.

Check it out!  It really is loads of fun!

blog stuff

I actually thought of a few more blog names, but I'm starting to like Have Dice, Will Travel...

Some of the names I thought up were:  The Dice Academy, DiceWorld,  RPG Academy, and last but not least, The Insane Ramblings of a Delusional Insomniac.  Anyway, I like the current title, and eventually will have a HDWT embroidered dice bag.  Somehow, that just sounds cool...

What's in store for next time? I have NO IDEA!  Perhaps I'll do the write up of an item that I thought of today, sort of an artifact.  Tymer's Terrible Trunk, the worst piece of luggage an adventurer could possibly find.

Until next time, keep your gaming books safe, and your dice bag close by!

No comments:

Post a Comment