Friday, March 26, 2010

Theme-less Thursday

The Thursday after Weird Wednesday shall now be, ( for the time being ) Theme-less Thursday.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Texicon guy.  I emailed him the interview questions earlier this week, and hopefully soon I will hear back from him.  I'm trying to decide if I want to run a game for NTRPG Con.  I kind of do, but then again I'm a little out of practice.  Plus, I would need to find my battlemats.

I've been learning how to use Scribus, a desk top publishing program.  The learning curve is a little steep, and to make that climb a little easier, I read the "getting started" guide, and some of the instructions on the wiki page.  I'm having a couple of technical issues, and I have sent an email to their support team.  Hopefully, I can get those resolved.  Other than those technical issues I am really liking Scribus.  It does just about everything I want it to do.  Did I mention it's free?   That's always a good thing.

I've been wanting a good desk top publishing program for a while, and now that I have it I can start on some projects.  One of which will be a quarterly fantasy RPG e-zine.  I'm going to start with Issue #0, and it will only be four to eight pages.  After that I have at least 16 to 24 pages an issue.  Now I just have to come up with a good name.

With all the discussion of conventions on HDWT, and on many other gaming blogs, I was thinking about past cons.  One of the things I started doing in the gaming rooms, especially later in the evening when things were slowing down, was to collect all the scraps of paper dropped on the floor.  Now, I wasn't exactly trying to be tidy.  See, most of them were a player's note to the GM.  Heh... I usually found some good ones, and I kept them for a long time.  My favorite one, and it still makes me chuckle, ( and also perplexes me at the same time ) is the one that read, "I take the dragon's brain."  See, I'm thinking that the frigging dragon's brain is going to be HUGE, and that the rest of the adventuring group would notice the character performing a "brainectomy" on the dragon?  It would certainly need one big jar of preserving fluid.  Unless of course, he was going to have it for lunch.  "Hey Joe, I'm running low on rations... you got any of that dragon's brain left?"

I wish I still had that collection of notes.  I would probably frame them all.  Good times...

No comments:

Post a Comment