Monday, January 9, 2012

The new news is news?

Say that five times fast.  Just for fun.  Done?  Okay, what I'm referring to is this, Wizards of the Coasts announcement about the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons.  The gaming bloggers everywhere are posting about it, and voicing their opinion's and idea's.  It makes for a great topic, but is it really news?  We all knew it was eventually going to happen.  It was practically written in stone.

However, I think the big news is the supposed level of player involvement in the design/play-testing process.  I'm wondering how this will work out?  If a certain number of gamers like a certain type of combat simulation ( or spell casting/whatever... ), and they play-test the game, give their feedback, and ideas, etc.  The game designers look them over and either use them or not.  Now consider this,  since many, or actually probably most of the ideas and suggestions are not going to be used; how are these players going to feel?  Will they want to purchase the new edition?  I'm sure the die-hard fans will, but others might not.  I'm not much of a marketing guy, but is this a good idea?  I'm really wondering how this is all going to play out...

It's a great idea not to design the new edition in a vacuum, but I'm sort of cringing at the chimera of game that might result.

Apparently the Wizards/Hasbro now want to listen to their customers, but I really think they only want to listen to what they want to hear.  Many, many people request the old stuff to be available as PDFs. Is that ever going to happen?  Probably not.

I doubt I will ever play 5E.  I'm not going to say never, but chances are...  IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  There are plenty of other games to spend my money on.  However, there is the odd chance that they create a wonderful, fun, very playable game.  Would I play/buy it then?  I don't know, but probably not.  Been there, done that, already burnt the t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment