Sunday, January 1, 2012

Game Hacking

Today I've been busy trying to get Skyrim installed, and of course have had no luck.  I finally received an email from Steam support that at first seemed helpful, and it did get me farther in the process.  However, once I tried to login I got the same result.  Steam: Not Responding.  UGH.

So while I try again, ( it takes Steam forever to update, at least on my computer ), I've been doing some research, and found this definition of a hacker:

hacker n. [originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe] 1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary. 2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about programming. 3. A person capable of appreciating hack value. 4. A person who is good at programming quickly. 5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on it; as in `a Unix hacker'. (Definitions 1 through 5 are correlated, and people who fit them congregate.) 6. An expert or enthusiast of any kind. One might be an astronomy hacker, for example. 7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations. 8. [deprecated] A malicious meddler who tries to discover sensitive information by poking around. Hence `password hacker', `network hacker'. The correct term for this sense is cracker.
From The Jargon Dictionary http://info.astrian.net/jargon/
I know many people think hackers are  malicious criminals, and many are, but I read it and realized that many gamers could be described as "game hackers", especially those in the OSR segment of this niche hobby.  I am specifically referring to parts six and seven of the definition above.  Many of us like to tinker with, and rewrite the rules of the games we play, because either we aren't happy with them, or we are trying to "circumvent limitations".  Sometimes I think that this is the best part of the hobby.  Finding new and better ways to do things.

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to hack Skyrim,  I was doing research to broaden my knowledge base.  I eventually want to get a better Internet connection, and set up a wireless network.  So I was doing some research on wireless security.  There's a lot to this stuff.  Sometimes I want to move to the woods and become an original hacker, and make all my furniture with an axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment