Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ideas? Suggestions? Requests? Insults?

I've been giving a lot of thought to running an online game.  I used to use a Yahoo group to run a free-form rpg, but that was years ago, and fizzled out.  I really would like to do something on Google+, however my Internet connection/bandwidth is not good at all.  In fact it's horrible.  So instead of throwing my hands up, giving up, and going "MEH!", I will live by one of my motto's.  Do what you can, with what you have, until you get something better.  ( The second part of the motto is: Work on getting something better. )

So I want to run a game, or more precisely a RPG.  I'm just not sure the best way to go about it?  A blog with play-by-posts?  Another Yahoo group?  A forum?  Play-by-email? A combination of these options?  The second decision would have to be genre, and then rule-set.  The genre would of course influence what rule-set I would use.  I wouldn't use AD&D to run a superhero campaign, or would I?  Heh... nooooooo.  I know I don't want to go the free-form route again.  There need to be rules.

So that's what I'm asking my esteemed readership.  What would you want to play and in what format?  Here are some of the things I was thinking about...

  • AD&D 1E
  • Mutant Future
  • Labyrinth Lord/OSRIC/ or???
  • GURPS 3E ( Probably not... I've only got the main rulebook right now. )
  • Traveller
I was also seriously considering a game set in the town of Kinship and environs.  I just haven't decided what rule-set to use.

All that being considered, this wouldn't be one of those things were you HAVE TO POST every hour/day/week or whatever.  I want this to be a flexible game.  However, if you end up being absent quite a bit, don't be upset when you miss out on things.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.  A fantasy sandbox, or Mutant Future would be fun, but now that I think about it, a weird western would be fun as well.  So speak up, and let me know.  If you reply I want to know the following:
  • If you're interested in playing in an online campaign.
  • The format you would be most interested in playing in, i.e. play-by-post, etc.
  • The genre and rule-set you are most interested in.
  • What you want out of the game!  Combat, role-playing, exploration, everything?
Okay, I'm all ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment